Ah, the romance of a misty second. The nippiness of darkish, lurking shadows rising from the fog. The glow of the solar’s rays by the rising vapour. The place there’s fog, there’s temper.
- Silky, buttery fog – Longer shutter speeds creates clean, flowing mist. The longer the shutter velocity, the extra dense the fog. The density ranges from a lightweight haze with a 1/2 second to a couple seconds. A thick blanket begins to emerge with even longer shutter speeds.
- Textured, uneven, rays of sunshine – Quicker shutter speeds separates fog from the encircling air. Shapes, density and motion stops.
When photographing fog and mist, a number of further ideas:
- At all times have lens wipes prepared together with a towel. Because the fog rises so does the moisture. Inside minutes, your lenses and kit can simply get moist. These provides will forestall ending your shoot early.
- Impartial density filters (I exploit B&W filters) decelerate the sunshine, permitting for longer shutter speeds.
- For sharper photographs, use a tripod and distant cable launch or your digicam’s publicity delay mode.